U.S. Renal Care’s Response to Recent Weather and Power Outages
Updated February 16, 2021
Home Dialysis Patients: Taking care of yourself if access to your care is compromised
All Home Dialysis Patients
- Use hand sanitizer in event of water boil alerts.
- If you need to evacuate your home, remember to take enough supplies and medications with you to get you through the timeframe you are gone.
- If you need to evacuate your home, please contact your home nurse to let him/her know where you are and the best phone number to reach you if needed.
- If treatments are missed, limit fluid intake and use emergency diet plan as needed.
Peritoneal Dialysis Patients
- If your water becomes contaminated, do not wash your hands or perform exit site care.
- For PD patients using the cycler - in the event you do not have power, perform CAPD exchanges as you were taught. Make sure you have enough light using daylight or a flashlight to make safe connections.
- PD solution can be warmed by body heat, sunlight or near fire if wrapped in a towel.
- Solution should be tepid to the touch at the inner wrist. Solution temperature can be checked by folding the bag over a thermometer probe if available.
- Follow all exchange procedures and rules that your home nurse has reviewed to prevent infection.
Home Hemodialysis Patients
- Home nurses will be contacting Home Hemodialysis patients to discuss back-up treatment arrangements if needed.
- For Home Hemodialysis patients using NxStage- in the event you do not have water, perform your treatment using Express Bags that were ordered for emergency use, and that you were trained to use.
Peritoneal Dialysis Patients: Home supply delivery update
Every Home patient has received communication from Baxter and is aware of the changes occurring at this time. Baxter HomeCare services should be the main point of contact for questions/support.
PLEASE ADVISE CLINICS AND PATIENTS TO CALL BAXTER HOMECARE SERVICES IMMEDIATELY WITH ANY CHANGES OR RELOCATIONS for supply orders at 1-800-284-4060.
Your Home Team will continue be in communication with you to ensure you have everything you need.